Sunday, 4 March 2012

Lewes Play Off Hopes 'Bury'ed

Lewes left on the long journey to Ram Meadow in search of their first three points of 2012. With their opponents Bury Town laying six points ahead at the start of play and a team that Lewes would need to beat if they are to overtake them and reach the play offs during this season.

Unlike previous away games where a careful 4-5-1 formation has been chosen to try and counter the home teams threat, Wormull bravely put out an attacking 4-3-3 with Lewis Hamilton coming in at left back to replace Charlie Leach, Walder remaining in midfield his suspension not taking place until the following Saturday and last weeks hero Billy Medlock coming in as the third striker instead of Max Howell were the only changes from the 2-2 draw at home to East Thurrock the previous Saturday.

On the other hand Bury played a safer game with only one striker, playing long ball with him as their target man. The tactic nearly worked from the off as a balll down field aided by the wind finding winger, Clark chargind down the left wing. His ball in found Sam Reed, his volley forcing Matt Ingram to make a smart stop, the ball going out for a corner. And again Bury kept up the pressure with the corner being weakly cleared by Lewes captain Steve Robinson before the ball was struck against Harry Harding who knew nothing about his block. Eventually after another block this time by Breach, Harding managed to slam the ball away from any danger after a dodgy few seconds.

However it was not long before Lewes in form striker Paul Booth had a chance when Harding won a free kick on the half way line which was swung in by Chris Breach. The free kick itself lead to the ball being head well away but it fell out to Lewis Hamilton who took his time to swing in an accurate cross on to the jumping Robinsons head, sending the ball back across the box only for Paul Booth to send a rather weak volley straight at Garnham in the Bury goal.

Former Eastbourne duo Nathan Crabb and Billy Medlock nearly linked up again for the second time in two weeks when a ball from Hamilton was well kept in by Crabb on the left hand side of the penalty area who sent a low ball in to the box which found Medlock with his back to goal. However he could only hold the ball up for the incoming Matt Somner to have a go which was scuffed and ended up high and very wide.

It was Bury on the attack again next as an advantage was played by the referee after a Matt Somner challenge, Tom Bullard carrying on and his effort went just wide of the post. Bury kept on the attack and another ball in from Clark was headed over by Smith after a deflection off the rather fortunate Hamilton.

Lewes were struggling to amount to any real attacking threats with no wingers on the pitch, unlike Bury who had Clark consistantly putting in good crosses. This eventually took its toll in the thirty-sixth minute when Clark this time put in an inch perfect ball which was headed across the box before Sam Reed was at hand to bundle the ball in across the line giving Bury the lead which on the basis of things, they probably deserved.

In an attempt to get level before half time Lewes broke away with Malvin Kamara able to pull the ball back across the box from the right hand side, finding Billy Medlock who was well closed down, his shot deflecting wide for a corner which was sent by Harding straight in to the awaiting arms of Garnham, leading to Bury going in at half time 1-0 up.

One major talking point on the first half was the decision, just before the Bury goal as the linesman appeared to award a free kick to Bury after calling Booth offside, however the decision was made after a goal kick which the offside rule states you cannot be offside from. However, Lewes were not tom complain too much as they needed to up their game in the second half if they were to gain anything from the match.

However, for Lewes, the second half got off to the worst start as a free kick was given against Steve Robinson for jumping using his arms, something the referee was particularly fussy with all game. The free kick was curled in finding a completly unmarked Bullard who could simply rise up and nod the ball home for a very soft goal from a defensive point of view.

Eventually Lewes caretaker manager Simon Wormull decided that it would be best to give Lewes some width and so Billy Medlock was replaced by the tricky Christian Nanetti. The change made an imidiate impact with Nanetti being found on the left he then swung the ball in across the box where it met the hard working Harry Harding who was able to knock the ball in pulling a goal back for lewes and giving fans hope that the Sussex side may be able to pull off another comeback to finish 2-2.

Bury looked determined to restore their two goal lead and from the kick off Billy Clark was found in miles of space inside the penalty area, however he took an age to get his shot away and so Matt Ingram made a good stop, however it still needed Malvin Kamara to make a goal line clearance under challenege to deny Bury.

Lewes were suddenly the dominant side and it looked as if they had a chance of coming away with a point as Harry Harding broke in to the box before cutting inside his man and seeimingly going down after a slight knock, however the referee wasn't interested and the ball was cleared well away out for a Lewes throw.

Bury were going down easily with the referee keen to give out free kicks for minor instances however one challenege from Somner which on another day could have been more focused on was ignored by the referee, much to the annoyance of the victim of the challenge who got up and gave Somner a shove, also ignored by the referee.

Nanetti also became the super sub hero when he was again set free on the left hand side and after a few silky skills he cut inside and flashed a shot at the near post which fell just the wrong side of the goal leaving Lewes desperate for time as it seemed the goal was coming.

However it wasn't to be and the game wore out meaning Bury remain in 4th place now nine points ahead of Lewes who dropped down to 9th now seven points off the play off places and with current foem a seemingly impossible task to reach them this season.

GK Matt Ingram
RB Malvin Kamara
CB Steve Robinson
CB Chris Breach
LB Lewis Hamilton
CM Matt Somner
CM Jack Walder (Ian Draycott)
CM Harry Harding
ST Billy Medlock (Christian Nanetti)
ST Paul Booth ( Max Howell)
ST Nathan Crabb

No comments:

Post a Comment