Monday, 5 September 2011

Hendon Battle to Remain Unbeaten

Malcolm puts Lewes ahead.. twice

Lewes dented Hendons 100% start as Hendon had to come back from a goal down twice in a game which finished 2-2. The draw means that no team has now one all 5 games and so Lewes became the first team to take points off Hendon this season.

Lewes started as they meant to go on as they took the lead after just a minute, they won a free kick on the right hand side which was floated into the area by Hakeem Adelakun and found Paul Booth who sent a bullet header at goal which was kept out by a superb reaction save from the Hendon keeper, however the ball fell down to Michael Malcolm who fired the ball into the net from close range to give Lewes the perfect start.

Some lapse defending by Lewes allowed Elliot Godfrey too much time outside the area for Hendon and he sent a sharp shot at goal which was met by a terrific save by Robinson keeping Lewes in front. The early goal had galvanized Hendon however and the hosts enjoyed some good possession for the next 10 minutes.

However Hendon didn't trouble the Lewes goal too often with Stuart Robinson only having to make a couple of easy saves and catches. However  he seemed to have lost his concentration when he took the ball about a yard out off his area before punting it down field. After the play continued for a few seconds the referee noticed the linesmans flag up and went over to check what was up. With the linesmans word thereferee awarded a free kick on the 18 yard line.

Elliot Godfrey lined up the free kick and smashed it past the poorly organised wall and into the top corner, a brilliant free kick but an unnessicary goal for Lewes to concede and one that Robinson will be particualrly dissapointed with.

Two minutes later and the referee made a huge decision in Hendons favour, Michael malcolm had used skill and power to get through the Hendon defence and break through into the area, clean through on goal, only for one of the defenders to turn around, stick out a leg and bring him down well inside the area, a clear penalty. However the referee awarded a free kick and only decided to give the player a yellow card. With the free kick at the other end being so good there was pressure on Paul Booth to step up and do the same, however the free kick was poor and sent straight into the wall and easily cleared.

Lewes were back on top and Malcolm should have added a second goal not long before half time when Kamara made a terrific run through the centre of the park before slipping Malcolm through on goal again, however he took the ball to far and had to stretch meaning he didn't get as much power as he would have liked on the shot making it eay for the hendon keeper to save down to his left.

Lewes started the second half as they did the first and from kick off Somner spread the ball out to Ciardini who won a free kick which he won and sent flying not far over the bar. And just five minutes in they had the lead again when Ciardini sent in a corner which was flapped at and fell to Malcolm who again blasted the ball home from close range for his second of the day and 4th of the season.

Lewes should have buried the game when Aaron Watson, making his fulll debut used his trickery to get into the box, beating three players before his eventual shot was blocked and again fell to Malcolm to surely get his hatrick, however this time his low shot was well saved by the keeper.

On the hour mark Hendon battled away and were level again when a corner was punched away by Stuart Robinson but not far enough and he had to make a stunning reaction save to stop it going in from the next shot, however unforunatly this left him out of position and he struggled to get back to stop Ngoyi scoring from a tight angle, just beating the scrambling Robinson.

Hendon were reduced to ten men with around 10 minutes remaining when a 50:50 ball was being chased by stuart Robinson rushing out of his box, a dangerous challenge from substitute Aaron Morgan on the keeper though earnt him a red card and ripped Robinsons sock which he was booked for timewasting as he had to take his gear off to put a replacment sock on. However Robinson was probably lucky to remain on the pitch as after the tackle he went over to Morgan and put his hand into his face which could so easily have warranted a straight red but the referee decided not to take action.

After the red card neither side really created many chances although it was Lewes debutant Christian Nanetti who nearly won the game as he came on as a sub. He dinked one way then the other before sending a rasping shot at goal which was acrobatically saved by the keeper.

The 2-2 draw leaves Hendon top of the league by a point although Wingate could go level on points as they have a game in hand againt Met. Police. Lewes remain in 6th place, one place away from the play offs however they are only out of them on goal difference, two points above the teams below them.

Laurencin, Wharton, Cousins, Peacock, Archer (Maclaren 57), Diedhiou, Busby, McCluskey, Ngoyi (Dyer 90), Godfrey (Morgan 63)
Unused: Fraser, Ambrose
Robinson, Kamara, Sterling, Somner, Robinson, Hustwick, Watson (Nanetti 74), Adelakun (Lee 90), Booth (Draycott 70), Malcolm, Ciardini  
Unused: Hamilton, Pringle

No comments:

Post a Comment