Thursday, 15 September 2011

Lewes Fightback Saves Unbeaten Run

Ciardini Hits a Brace
Lewes bravely fought back from 2 goals down on wednesday night at Tooting and Mitcham to raise their unbeaten run to 6 games, they now have not lost since the opening day 3-1 defeat to Lowestoft.

Lewes will come away delighted to have come back from the two goal deficit but also very dissapointing that Malcolm nor Draycott could finish glorious chances towards the end of the game.

The first half was uneventful with neither side really being able to break down the opposition team resulting in the scores being level at half time with neither side being able to break the deadlock. There were a couple of chances for each team, most notably Lewes had to make a scrappy clearance of the line to keep Tooting out. However Lewes had the best chance of the first half and only a world class save from the Tooting keeper kept Nic Ciardini out from scoring after Dwayne Lee pulled the ball across the face of goal.

The second hald proved much more of a specticle and Tooting had the lead on the hour mark after the ball was saved well by Robinson however he had come out well off his line leaving Reece Hall to smash the ball home right into the bottom corner.

Just a couple of minutes later and Hall got his second of the game when a punted ball forward from midfield was mis headed away by captain Kamara meaning Dominic Sterling had to try and deal with the situation but his header only went as far as Hall who swung his body round and hit a peach of a ball on the volley which seemed to fly into the net leaving Robinson standing.

Lewes didn't look as good as they have done in previous games and looked set to lose their unbeaten run.

This all changed when King made the simple decision to put Ciardini over on the right and put Nanetti on the left. The decision proved decisive and Ciardini seemed to burst in to life. First he played a beautiful one two with Booth setting him up with a one on one with the keeper which he calmly slotted home to give Lewes hope.

And just moments later Lewes were level when Dwayne Lee sent Ciardini running before he pulled the trigger from thirty yards where the ball managed to nestle itself into the bottom corner in what was a stunning goal and Ciardini's 3rd in 2 games.

The come back completly destroyed Tootings playing style and after the goals it was all one way traffic and Lewes should have scored at least one more. The first of the glorious chances fell to Ian Draycott freshly brought on for the tired Paul Booth. A nice bit of link up play with Michael malcolm saw a chipped ball sent in to Draycott where all he had to do was get a touch past the keeper. However somehow his horribly struck volley was sent flying out for a throw in on the far side.

With moments to go Lewes were still pushing. Nanetti seemed keen to continue his fine form on from saturday and a flying run saw him creep past the defence and cut inside the box where he drgged a ball back for Malcolm to finish from two yards out but... over the bar, in an exact replica of Robert Earnshaws miss for Wales one week earlier, leaving Lewes to travel home with their second successive 2-2 draw on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment