Saturday, 16 July 2011

Brighton Make Winning Start To New Life

Brighton at Hart
Brighton and Hove Albion won the Sussex Senior Cup today in their first ever game at the Amex community stadium. Brighton overcame Eastbourne Borough 2-0 to claim the title thanks to goals from Gary Hart and Steve Cook.

It was a dramatic moment when Hart flicked the ball into the back of the net in his final appearance for Brighton, where he signed in 1998 and he earned the recognition he most deffinatly deserves after his time at Brighton has now come to an end.

Hart wore the captains armband and recieved several standing ovations from the pumped Brighton fans and his goal made the occassion that extra bit special. Brighton dominated the first half but coud not break through a resiliant Eastbourne defence.

The first clear cut chance came for Brighton in the second half when Hart curled a ball into the area for the ever busy George Barker where he took it past a defender with ease but took too long to get his shot away and a magnificent Rikki Banks was able to dive and punch the ball away from Barkers feet, a mistake would have resulted in a penalty but Banks was impecable all game.

Just moment later Eastbourne had a golden opportunity when they won a corner which Brighton failed to deal with properly allowing Baker to put a volley at goal, however his shot went over the bar, wasting the opportunity.

Throughout the game Brighton picked up more and more momentum with their beautiful passing play being lead by a solid Grant Hall at the back leading the passing play. Anton Rodgers nearly scored directly from a free kick when he curled the ball just over the wall and forced another brilliant save from Rikki Banks. However despite Eastbournes hard work they were unable to deal with the corner when Grant Hall flicked the ball back in after the corner was weakly cleared and in amongst a jumble of players Gary Hart managed to flick the ball on into the back of the net sending the Brighton fans into raptures.

Banks continued his fine form after that, saving a brilliant reaction shot after Barker shot from a tight angle which Banks dealt with well. However he stood no chance when Brighton won another free kick on the edge of the area, this time instead of shooting it was sent in with fantastic accuracy, finding Cooks head where he placed it perfectly into the top left leaving Banks standing.

Eastbourne were far from out of it though and substitute Ian Pulman had a super shot lob the keeper from a wide angle but just fall on to the bar to keep Brighton 2-0 up and cruising.

The game was a day of firsts, one of those being the first ever yellow card for Eastbourne left back Sonny Cobbs, it perhaps could of been a red for the two footed tackle, however the referee took sympathy for the slippery conditions. Cobbs has just signed for Eastbourne from rivals Lewes.

No comments:

Post a Comment