Sunday, 24 July 2011

Worthing Win Over Wobbly Rooks

Fenelon on trial against one of his former clubs
Steve King suffered his first defeat since returning to the Lewes job in just his second friendly at the club, falling down to Ryman South side Worthing. King decided to experiment with his side that won against St Neots last week by bringing Stuart Robinson out of the goal and replacing him with Mark Zawadski on trial from Horsham.

Another trialist Dylan Merchant also replaced Jordan Lang meaning Hamilton was over at left back with Merchant on the right. There was even one more trialist on display in the form of Hakin who played solidly in the centre of midfield replacing Jed Wallace, on trial at the club last week.

Rooks legendary striker Paul Booth also fitted in to the side replacing Jamie Cade after he has now returned from his holiday.

In a game that you would expect this Lewes sie to dominate, Lewes fell short in what seemed very much like a training game for the Rooks against the Rebels.

Lewes actually started the game on the upper foot and could have been two nil up within the first ten minuets when Ian Draycott, who was playing on the wide right side, was played through on goal only for his shot blocked well after he took a second too long to get his shot away.

The second chance came when a similar ball played attacking midfielder, Michael Malcolm, through but again hesitated before his shot was well blocked on to the side netting by the Worthing keeper who had a good game.

Lewes carried on the offensive style and a Hamilton cross found the top of Paul Booths head which looped up a came close to coming back down into the net but fell just over the bar. Just moments later and the head of Paul Booth had yet another chance, this time Nic Ciardini the creator as his ball found Booth perfectly but he dragged the header just wide of the post.

However, despite Lewes having the majority of chances, Worthing were the team to brake the deadlock when a ball into the box was bouncing up and fell to trialist Dylan Merchant at chest level, the right back attempted the chest the ball back to keeper Mark Zawadski but it was week and Worthing striker, Steve Davis, crept inside and headed the ball in from 1 yard out.

Fans may have expected Lewes to create a wonderful turn around like last week at St Neots but the rest of the half didn't promise much with just two week shots on goal, one from a Michael Malcolm free kick which found its way under the wall but wasn't strong enough to beat the Worthing keeper. The other from Matt Somner who took a shot which was easy for the keeper to dive on.

Lewes made some changes for the second half, bringing on Stuart Robinson in goal and bringing on new signing Warren Mcbean who played on the left wing with Nic Ciardini moving back to left back.

With the game going on and on, no team were creating major chances despite Stuart Robinson having to make a few very good saves from the giant keeper, although his first three goalkicks were miss kicked allowing Worthing to keep coming back at Lewes.

However, again it was Lewes who had the best chances of the second half with Chamel Fenelon, on trial to come back to the club, came on for Ian Draycott and the tired Booth was taken of and replaced by another trialist Nayim.

Lewis Hamilton came forward from his right back position in the second half and twice managed to turn the defender inside out, running in to the box and playing square balls across, only for the strikers various shots to be very well blocked by a resilient Worthing defence.

Fenelon looked strong on the left and barged his way down the wing with strenght and speed before whipping a ball in to the box only for Hakin to drill the ball high and wide. Fenelon repeated this run moments later but this time went alone and sent a powerful shot at goal which the Worthing keeper again made a great save, however the ball fell down to Warren McBean with the goalkeeper on the floor, he side footed away from the last defender only for Nayim to be in his way and Nayim took a week shot on goal which the keeper was able to wrap up.

In the end Worthing deserved their lead as they were more up for the game than Lewes who seemed to just want a run around, however with improved performances sure to come Lewes will look ahead to next week when they will hope to put in a better performance againts a good Essex Utd. side.

No comments:

Post a Comment